McAfee has developed a three sided plan to ensure the future of mobile devices in the corporate environment. This plan was developed to help users secure their devices as the mobile malware market has seen an exponential growth in the last quarter. Read the Press Release for more details.
[toggle title_open=”Collapse Press Release” title_closed=”Expand Press Release” hide=”yes” border=”yes” style=”default” excerpt_length=”0″ read_more_text=”Read More” read_less_text=”Read Less” include_excerpt_html=”no”]
McAfee, today shared its vision for securing mobile devices in corporate environments. The three-pronged approach for protecting mobile devices, mobile data, and mobile applications, is designed to help businesses and consumers manage their devices securely, as the threat environment quickly evolves.
Attacks on smartphones are becoming more common, and according to McAfee Labs, new malware targeting Android devices jumped 76 percent in the last quarter. The need to secure mobile devices from attacks has never been more important. IT security operations that were once smooth-running have recently come under intense pressure to adopt new technologies and fully support completely new platforms, operating systems, and architectures. McAfee is developing products and strategies to allow businesses to bring these consumer devices securely into the IT infrastructure.
“Mobile device adoption is exploding, and unfortunately, so are the threats targeting mobile platforms. If McAfee’s historical experience analyzing threats on numerous platforms is any indication, we believe that the emerging mobile malware we are seeing today is just the beginning,” said John Dasher, senior director, mobile security for McAfee. “It’s a whole new world, and a challenge for IT to craft security policies that make sense while updating their infrastructure. At McAfee, we’re working hard to create new technology to help enterprises address the challenge of securely incorporating these new mobile platforms into their environment.”
New Endpoints, New Challenges
Traditional endpoints relied mostly on email and web for application framework. Mobile has a whole new freedom in custom applications. But each new application – either public or private – introduces new threats and risks to corporate IT. Today, challenges include the consumerization of IT, mobile platform diversity that includes iOS, Android, BlackBerry and Windows Phone, and an explosion of applications. Additionally, most Android-based devices have a slightly different implementation of the OS making software development and support that much harder.
McAfee is unique in being able to bring mobile devices into the security infrastructure. With a broad portfolio of security technologies including anti-malware, data loss prevention, application security, web protection, and more, McAfee has the technology needed to securely welcome these new endpoints. McAfee® ePolicy Orchestrator® security management software, which covers more than 30 million endpoints today, and McAfee Global Threat Intelligence, support and work across these integrations.
McAfee’s Three-Pronged Approach to Mobile Security
- Protecting Mobile Devices — With data and device protection for today’s most popular mobile devices, McAfee provides a complete security solution that embraces mobile device diversity. To meet this challenge, McAfee offers the following:
- Anti-malware protection from the growing number of threats targeted at mobile devices through McAfee® VirusScan® Mobile software.
- Web protection that alerts mobile devices users when they are accessing malicious sites, such as phishing sites is offered through McAfee SiteAdvisor technology.
- Protecting Mobile Data — Protecting sensitive corporate data is a requirement. McAfee can ensure that only those devices with encryption access the corporate network and data. McAfee offers
- Data protection when using the McAfee EMM product, including the prevention of data leakage from Jailbroken and Rooted devices.
- Anti-theft and loss features allow for remote backup, lock and wipe to make sure that sensitive data does not get into the wrong hands.
- Additional data protection technologies are under development including the separation of business and personal data.
- Protecting Mobile Apps – Beyond traditional email and web, mobile apps are readily available and proliferating by the millions. McAfee sees this as potentially the biggest threat vector of the future.
- McAfee has released in beta McAfee® App Alert™ software to inform users how apps access their personal data.
- McAfee is expanding the scope of its Global Threat Intelligence to include mobile app reputation services to identify apps that are malicious or put privacy at risk.
- McAfee also has app-scanning technologies that have been successfully deployed in app stores, adding a crucial layer of application security that helps vendors provide customers a safe app experience.