Successor to the critically acclaimed XZ-1, the new Olympus XZ-2 adds a whole set of features that will make it the envy of competition brands. Starting with a 12.3-megapixel backlit CMOS sensor, a 28-112mm (eq.) f/1.8-2.5 Zuiko Digital lens and customisable controls that make it easier and faster for photographers to get exactly the shot they want.
It also has touch-sensitive tilt screen, the same TruePic VI image processor used in the OM-D E-M5 compact system camera, Full HD movie recording and Eye-Fi/FlashAir compatibility for sharing images directly on your social network..Another bonus for seasoned photographers is the fast-response autofocus that you activate with a simple tap on the 920,000-dot, 3-inch hypercrystal LCD.
The Olympus XZ-2 will be available from late October 2012 for US $ 600 (IN Rs. 32600 approx)
Full Specs :
- 1:1.8-2.5 super-bright, large aperture 4x wide i.ZUIKO DIGITAL zoom lens (28-112mm*) for superb image resolution
- iHS technologies for capturing exactly the shots you want with rich colour and low noise, irrespective of shooting conditions
- 12.3 Megapixel backlit 1/1.7” BSI CMOS sensor for high-resolution, superb-quality full-size movies, stills and prints
- Powerful TruePic VI image engine for faster recovery time and shutter release plus excellent image quality
- Low Light Mode for sharper, more atmospheric shots in low light
- 1080p Full HD Movie with stereo sound for capturing movies in the best image quality currently available in compact cameras
- Multi-motion Movie IS for recording Full HD movies with reduced blur while walking
- HDR Backlight Adjustment for ideal exposure when shooting against the light
- 3.0” hypercrystal touch-sensitive tilt LCD (920,000 dots) with fast response
- Touch AF for focussing automatically on the subject you touch
- Manual controls for fast and easy professional adjustments
- Hybrid control ring for fast, intuitive control of key program parameters, assigned by you, in digital mode
- Live Guide and i-Auto for easy operation – even by beginners
Creativity & Flexibility
- 11 Art Filters and their variations for adding creative effects to HD movies and stills: Cross Process, Diorama, Dramatic Tone, Gentle Sepia, Grainy Film, Key Line, Light Tone, Pale & Light Colour, Pin Hole, Pop Art and Soft Focus
- Art Filter Bracketing for generating multiple versions of a single shot to showcase different picture modes and Art Filter effects
- Accessory Port for compatibility with a growing range of accessories including an external flash, electronic viewfinder and external stereo microphone
Storage & Sharing
- SDHC™ and SDXC™ memory card compatible, including UHS-I support
- Eye-Fi Card compatibility for automatic wireless uploading of images to a website or PC
- FlashAir™ compatible for transferring password-protected images to selected smartphones and social networks
- Free iOS and Android software downloads for editing and sharing images in social networks via smartphone and/or computer
- High ISO up to 12800 for excellent imaging despite poor light
- Multi-Aspect ratios for the ideal format (16:9, 3:2, 4:3 or 1:1)
- Removable grip for personalising the camera with three alternative grip colours (red, beige and purple)
[toggle_box title="Press Release" width="Width of toggle box"]
THE OLYMPUS STYLUS XZ-2 iHS® TAKES THE COMPACT CAMERA CATEGORY TO THE X-TREME
Point. Shoot. Be Amazed with an Ultra-Bright Lens, Ultra-Easy Operation and Ultra-High Image Quality, Making It the Powerhouse Compact for Serious Photographers
CENTER VALLEY, Pa., September 17, 2012 – Olympus pushes the compact digital camera to a new X-treme with the introduction of the Olympus STYLUS XZ-2, its game-changing, flagship high-performance point-and-shoot. The STYLUS XZ-2 is a hybrid that combines optical brilliance, the manual controls of a DSLR and the unbeatable convenience of a lightweight compact in a body every imaging enthusiast should love. Inheriting the 4x optical / 4x Digital zoom iZUIKO® DIGITAL f1.8-2.5 large-diameter lens found on its predecessor, the award-winning Olympus XZ-1®, the Olympus STYLUS XZ-2 builds on its low-light performance with new features: the world’s first hybrid control ring, customizing controls so ambitious photographers easily capture the shot; a new fast, touch-sensitive tilt screen; the powerful TruePic VI image processor; Full HD movie recording and FlashAir® compatibility to share images immediately on social networks.
The digital lens of the Olympus XZ-2 (iZUIKO f1.8-2.5 (28-112mm*), a 4x compact version of legendary ZUIKO Digital lenses, is designed for clear, high-quality photographic performance, whether set at its maximum f1.8 aperture for amazing wide-angle shots, or at f2.5 for 112mm* telephoto images. The result is expressive background defocusing and sophisticated bokeh, plus the flexibility to use short, blur-free exposure times in low light. The camera’s iHS technology and the large-aperture lens work together to deliver high-sensitivity, low noise and blazing auto-focus performance that translates to the highest image quality of any Olympus compact camera.
The newly developed 12.0 megapixel, 1/1.7″ high-sensitivity back-lit CMOS sensor, working with the TruePic VI processor, the same processor used in the Olympus OM-D E-M5™ system camera, provides faster recovery time and shutter release to capture images with true-to-life colors, rich details and low noise. To complement the speed of the f1.8 lens, the camera’s low-light mode automatically adjusts the ISO sensitivity up to ISO 12,800 to take sharp, full-resolution photos in dim conditions, and an easily accessible built-in pop-up flash and AF illuminator brightens low-lit subjects, reduces red-eye and fills in dark areas.
The Olympus XZ-2 is equipped with the world’s first hybrid control ring, built around the lens, which allows users to easily assign function settings to their preferences as well as switch between analog and digital operation of the ring. The digital operation provides a solid click on controls, whereas the analog operation offers a smooth, gliding feeling. When the Fn 2 lever next to the lens is placed downward, the ring around the lens switches to analog control so it can be used as a focus or a zoom ring. If the lever is placed at an angle, the ring around the lens switches to digital control to change exposure-related settings quickly and easily. This feature enables fine-tuning of the focus in macro, composition selection when shooting, and exposure adjustment all without looking away from subjects.
Basic operations and settings of the Olympus XZ-2, starting with touch controls and Live Guide, as well as a new graphic user interface will be familiar to Olympus PEN® and OM-D shooters. Instantly activate the Touch AF Shutter function to select the subject you want to focus on and activate the shutter simply by touching the swivel 3.0 inch, 920,000 dot LCD screen. The XZ-2 design is enhanced with a removable grip that offers the option for a sleek style grip, and metal is used throughout the body for a strong and sharp look.
The Olympus STYLUS XZ-2 is packed with additional technologies including DUAL IS, which combines with high-sensitivity shooting to reduce camera shake and subject blur, providing double image stabilization. HDR backlit correction captures multiple images with a single shot at different exposures and automatically merges them into one image, and Super Resolution technology expands zoom power up to eight times with minimal image degradation. iAuto mode automatically identifies up to 30 different scenes. The XZ-2 also features 11 Art Filters and 5 Art Effects that easily bring artistic visions to life.
In addition to superior still image quality, the 1080p Full HD Movie capability with stereo sound captures movies in the best quality currently available in compact cameras. Multi-Motion Movie IS image stabilization corrects for the common gradual camera shake that occurs when shooting on the move, delivering more stable, higher-quality movies. Beautiful movies can be shot even longer with a 1920 x 1080 High-Definition size and MOV/H.264 movie compression that has an excellent compatibility with computers.
The Olympus XZ-2 is also designed to make sharing your amazing images even easier. Using the smartphone connection function, simply set up a compatible Toshiba FlashAir SDHC card with an internal wireless LAN to make a Wi-Fi connection. With the Olympus Image Share smartphone application (to be released in September), easy image upload onto a smartphone via a thumbnail index, adding Art Filters to images on a smartphone, and sharing images on various social networking services is possible.
A wide range of creative and practical accessories is available to adapt the Olympus XZ-2 for specific needs, including three alternative grips in a variety of colors (red, beige and purple), a body jacket and underwater housing. There’s also a sleek, matching black LC-63A lens cap that opens and closes automatically whenever you activate the camera. To expand the camera’s versatility, the XZ-2 includes an accessory port for compatibility with a growing range of Micro Four Thirds® accessories.
U.S. Pricing and Availability
The Olympus STYLUS XZ-2 will be available in November 2012, and ships with a USB Cable, Video Cable, Li-Ion Battery Pack, Li-Ion Battery Charger, Shoulder Strap, OLYMPUS ib® software CD-ROM, Manuals and Registration card.
Estimated Street Price: $599.99 (Available in black)