OnePlus 5/5T Get Gaming Mode 3.0 & Front Portrait Mode
It was in July this year, during the OnePlus Open Ears Forum, that the company promised its audience to add the selfie portrait mode to OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T. It seems, the company was not just saying anything to please the audience. Today, the company has released of OxygenOS Open Beta 17 and Open Beta 15 for the two handsets, respectively. Moreover, with updates like – the front-facing Portrait Mode, Gaming Mode 3.0 and a long list of other changes – company has put the money where its mouth is.
Apart from the front portrait mode and the gaming mode 3.0, other updates give a reason to rejoice as well. For example, the update features the August Android security patch, improved accuracy for weather forecasts, and a new version of Note together with the latest OxygenOS UI. On top of that, they have added “toast message source”. Andorid Toast can be used to display information for the short period of time. A toast contains message to be displayed quickly and disappears after sometime. Also, it can be used as a tool to find spammy applications.
OxygenOS is a customized version of the Android mobile operating system developed by Chinese smartphone manufacturer OnePlus exclusively for their smartphones. Basically, OnePlus developed OxygenOS to cater to their overseas market.
Here are the latest changes in the open beta builds for OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T.
- Added Toast message source for Toast messages sent by background apps
- Added description about sleep standby optimization when the function is turned on for the first time
- Optimized background power consumption control
- Fixed call recording issue in India
- Updated Android security patch to 2018.8
- Added portrait mode for the front camera
- Gaming mode 3.0
- Added call suspension notification
- Added text notification mode
- UI and interaction optimization
- Hourly weather forecast
- 8 units of meteorological data including precipitation probability and Perceived temperature
- Improved weather data accuracy
- New OxygenOS UI
- Optimized process for sharing notes as an image
- Oneplus Switch
- UI optimisation
However, it is worthy to note that this a beta software. Thus, there are slight chances of running into bugs or crashing of the application. All in all, it might not run as smoothly as something you would expect from a OnePlus device.
The company has clearly warned about the potential risks by conveying this on OnePlus Forum – “By installing this update, you accept the potential risks. And please remember to tell us about any bugs you may find using the bug report forums”.
So, if you happen to run into some issues then don’t forget to inform the company.