Sony to Double VAIO Sales in 2011 (PR)
Sony plans to double its VAIO laptop sales this year. With over 62 models in 4 different series, the company may just achieve its targets. Read the Press Release to find out how.
[toggle title_open="Collapse Press Release" title_closed="Expand Press Release" hide="yes" border="yes" style="default" excerpt_length="0" read_more_text="Read More" read_less_text="Read Less" include_excerpt_html="no"]
Sony India today announced its strategy to double VAIO sales in India by selling 5 lakh laptop units in FY11. VAIO is already the fastest growing laptop brand in India (according to IDC report 2010) with more than 100% growth and the new product line-up will ensure that it becomes even more closer to the Indian audience. VAIO S, C, E & Y series are tailor-made to suit the diverse lifestyle of the customers, so there is a laptop for everyone, be it a business executive, style conscious youth, students or even PC beginners.
Mr. Masaru Tamagawa, Managing Director, Sony India, said, “VAIO contributes 20% to the total sales revenue of Sony India and hence a very important part of our business. This year, our objective is to ensure that we offer a VAIO to meet the lifestyle requirements of every customer. We have an exciting product line-up of 62 models, a robust distribution network of 1500 outlets and heavy marketing investment of Rs. 50 crore to reach our business target of 5 lakh units in FY11. Talking about the new brand campaign, he said, “‘More Colour.More Style’ campaign is all about making a lifestyle statement and with Ms. Kareena Kapoor as the face of this campaign, we hope it will resonate well with our customers.”
Sony offers an extensive VAIO line-up that is aimed at different consumer segments with varied lifestyle requirements ranging from business class to college goers to even casual PC users. The price, features and the captivating colours compliments the product ensemble and lends unique beauty to the product offering. Details for each series are as follows:
- VAIO S: VAIO S is a perfectly balanced mobile PC with a premium design. Its slim and full-flat body allows you to carry it wherever you go. The long battery life makes it perfect for that business meeting and outdoor use. Available in 5 captivating colours, it is available at a price range of Rs. 47,990 to Rs.1,29,900.
- VAIO C: VAIO C is inspired by high fashion. It is made up of light-emitting material which adds to the visual impact of the vivid colour, rendering it an absolutely unique look. The Full HD screen and high-performance graphics makes playing games and watching movies a totally delightful experience. Available in 6 vibrant hues, it is priced from Rs. 54,990 to Rs. 69,990
- VAIO E: VAIO E, optimized for daily use, perfectly meets daily task demands such as checking emails, web browsing, listening to music, or organizing photos. With a wide selection of processors and colours, it fits right into a variety of usage scenes and styles. Featuring a unique truss pattern, it is targeted towards students and young working professionals. Available in 4 colours, it starts at a price of Rs. 27,990.
- VAIO Y: The key attraction of this series is the basic versatility of the product, that suits anyone and everyone making it a perfect gadget for casual users and beginners. Available in 4 colours, it starts at Rs. 24,990, making it extremely easy on the pocket.
The total product line-up, having 62 models, is available in 16 captivating colours to ensure that customers across a variety of segments have a personalized notebook that matches their idea of style.
To ensure that this comprehensive product line-up reaches the masses across India, Sony has a very aggressive expansion plan in place. The distribution network would see an increase of about 700 outlets, raising the count to 1500 in FY11 from 800 in the previous year. The company would also open 30 exclusive VAIO Flagship stores in FY11 taking the total number to 50 as a dedicated VAIO channel.
Sony will launch ‘More Colours.More Style’ VAIO brand campaign featuring its popular Brand Ambassador, Ms. Kareena Kapoor. Thrilled about the new campaign, Kareena Kapoor said, “I am very glad to be associated yet again with Sony VAIO for the ‘More Colour. More Style’ campaign. VAIO is different, vibrant and ultra stylish and makes for a perfect lifestyle statement, and this message is reinforced in the new brand campaign. The essence of this campaign is ‘Uniqueness’, so there is VAIO to suit every style and speak every mood.”
The brand campaign would be supported with extensive Above-the-line and Below-the-line activities, including print and television commercial, Web, PR, cinema and shop-front, for which the company has lined up an investment of Rs. 50 crore.
Sony has a very favorable record of Kareena led VAIO campaigns. VAIO sales doubled during the VAIO X ‘Size Zero’ campaign & VAIO E ‘Go Vivid’ campaign which were launched in Nov-Dec 2009 & July-Aug 2010 respectively.
Business facts summary:
- In FY10, Sony sold 2.5 lakh notebooks which is expected to go up to 5 lakh notebooks by FY11. The consumer notebook market in India stood at 17 lakhs units in FY10 and is expected to increase to 25 lakhs units by FY11
- For VAIO category, Sony has earmarked a budget of Rs. 50 crore towards marketing activities in FY11. Out of this, Rs. 25 crore has been allocated to ‘More Colour.More Style’ campaign.
- In FY10, Sony achieved a market share of 15%, the company targets 20% share by FY11.
- Expansion of channel network to 1,500 counters by FY11 across 200 cities up from 800 sales counters in FY10. VAIO Flagship stores to increase to 50 counters by FY11, an increase of 30 counters from 20 in FY10.