OnePlus 3 Gets Beta Android Oreo Update
OnePlus has started rolling out an 800 MB heavy software update for OnePlus 3 closed beta group which updates the phone to Android 8.0 Oreo.
The update as of now is very unstable with many functions like the NFC, WiFi, Bluetooth, and hotspot fairly unstable. OnePlus is trying to roll out a stable update in mid-September. The OnePlus 3T and OnePlus 5 closed beta groups will also start getting this update soon.
OnePlus had earlier announced that an update to Android 8.0 Oreo will be the last major software update for OnePlys 3 and 3T but, the devices will get regular security patches for a longer period. Only the OnePlus 5 as of now, will be updated to next year’s Android P. This news didn’t go down well OnePlus enthusiasts who had just bought either of the devices.
Android 8.0 Oreo was officially announced last month with a lot of upgrades and a few new features. Highlights of new features in Android 8.0 Oreo
- A new picture-in-picture feature allows users to continue operating the device without interruptions for things like watching a video.
- Users can now organise notifications into custom channels and modify the alerts for the entire channel.
- An auto fill framework in the operating system makes the repeated filling of forms easy for the user.
- Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) can specify a look and feel for the UI by choosing between various icon shapes by using Adaptive Icons
- A smart sharing feature allows the operating system to guess the context of a photo, and pick the best application to hand the image over to.
- There are also background execution limits, which ensures that applications running in the background don’t use up a lot of system resources.
OnePlus is notorious for shutting down support on its 1-year-old phones and has continued to do so with its 3 and 3T variants. This new update means that a full-fledged roll out of Android 8.0 Oreo is not too far and the users might get an update by October, which will be fairly quick considering the Google Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2 will launch in early-October running Android 8.0.