Google Pixel 4 Will Have Radar Technology For Touch Less Operation
Google is bracing for the launch of its 2019 flagship smartphones which will be dubbed the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL. In comparison to their predecessors, the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL; the future smartphones will be a big departure both in terms of design and features. The company had already shared the rear design of the smartphone that reveals a dual-camera setup. Interestingly, it is the first time that a Pixel handset will feature more than one camera sensor on the rear.
Although the images of Pixel 4’s front are yet to publicised, unofficial sources have revealed interesting findings of the smartphone. According to leaked screen protectors and unofficial renders, both devices in the lineup will have minimal bezels on all sides except for a lip on top of the display which is comparatively thicker.
Noteworthy, the thicker forehead (as seen in the images) on the Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL is not just a design choice instead it features important components that will provide the smartphones with unique functionality. Moving from left to right, the tempered glass exhibits two holes which are likely to feature dual front cameras, an oval-shaped cutout that may house ambient light sensor, an earpiece cutout and finally a capsule-shaped slit which reportedly will hold the secret weapon on the future handsets.
It is alleged that the Google Pixel 4 smartphone duo will have a complex motion-detecting sensor which allows users to operate them without physically touching them. Perhaps, Google will make use of technologies and sensors that it had developed while working on Project Soli.
For readers who do not know, Project Soli is a gesture recognition technology that makes use of radio waves to determine the range, angle or velocity of objects nearby. The function of such a sensor is comparable to the mammal bat that uses sound waves for echolocation. Anyways, Google plans to make use of such technology in handheld smartphones which will open a whole new world of boundaries in terms of device interaction besides the conventional touch sensor technology.
Possible Uses Of Project Soli On A Smartphone
- A lot of modern smartphones support the option to play, pause or change the music by drawing certain patterns even when the device is in a locked state. The Pixel 4 incorporating sensors developed with Project soli may be able to control these feature by performing certain motions like snapping fingers or rubbing one finger over the other.
- As seen on smartphones from Motorola and Samsung that show device status by hovering your palm near the top of the display. Similarly, Pixel 4 may support certain motion gestures that will allow achieving the same with better precision and more flexibility.
These are only a handful of uses that we could think of at the time of writing this article. However, as previously mentioned the possibilities with the technology are endless.
Although detailed specifications of the Pixel 4 lineup will only be publicised at the time of official launch, assumptions, based on its competitors can still be made. The smartphones are expected to pack the following specs:
- Chipset: Snapdragon 855, Octa Core, Adreno 640
- Display: Pixel 4- 5.5 inch, Pixel 4 XL- 6.3 inch
- RAM: upto 6 GB
- ROM: 128 GB, 256 GB
- Memory Expandability: N/A
- Operating System: Android 9
- Biometric Security: Face Unlock, Indisplay Fingerprint Sensor
- Camera: Dual Fron and Rear
To sum it up, the Pixel 4 based on leaks will give a stiff competition to devices including 2019 iPhones and forthcoming Galaxy Note 10. However, in order to verify the leaks and claims, we will have to wait until their official announcement which is expected to take place in the month of September or early October.