How many GB does your average filing cabinet hold?
What if you wanted to store all your data in a Filing Cabinet? How many GB could it possibly hold? Lets find out using songs as our data…
- Well, we can say that the average song is 4MB
- 4MB = 33554432 bits
- One bit would be a 1 or 0
- One printed page hold approx 6460 characters
- So one song would take 5194 pages
- Average paper is 24lb/ream or .0048″ per sheet
- So, we’re looking at about 25″ of space needed for one song
- Looking at a file cabinet of average thickness, we would say that one drawer is about 18″ deep
- And the average file cabinet has 4 drawers
- So we have a total of 72″ of space
- Or 2.88 songs per cabinet
- So one cabinet holds about 11.52MB of space
- Or, about .01125GB
So we can conclusively say that a file cabinet stored about as much data as one and a half IBM 2311 Direct Access Storage Facility Hard Disks.