Microsoft Releases Windows 10 Preview for Phones; Here is How You Can Install it
Redmond giant Microsoft has released the first preview of Windows 10 for phones. Lumia owners can now install the preview and check out what the new OS has to offer. Several prominent Windows 10 features will be available in the preview, including the new UI, new action center, custom background images on the start screen and better voice dictation.
In a blog post, Microsoft’s Gabe Aul says the company is looking for feedback.
[quote text_size=”small” author=”Gabe Aul” author_title=”Microsoft”]
This preview is still very much under development and you’re going to see some rough edges. We’re sharing it with you so you can be with us at every step, and provide your feedback to help make this the best release ever.
Though the preview does not get the new universal apps, the new Office apps, the Spartan browser, Xbox integration, Skype in Messaging and Cortana, among other things.
We’ll hear more about Windows 10 for phones at Microsoft’s event at MWC on March 2, while the final OS launch is expected this summer.
How to Install the Preview
- To get the preview, you’ll need a Lumia 630, Lumia 635, Lumia 636, Lumia 638, Lumia 730, or Lumia 830.
- Make sure you back up your data.
- Go to insider.windows.com and sign up for the Windows Insider program. Then on your PC, go to the this link and click install to send the Windows 10 insider app on your phone.
- When you access the Windows Insider app on your phone, you’ll get two options – ‘fast and ‘slow’ build schedules. Microsoft says the slow schedule has improvements coming less often, hence it’ll be less buggy.
- This will be followed by a series of long downloads and restarts, and you’ll finally be running the Windows 10 Preview for phones.
Users are advised to be patient as the whole process takes a significant amount of time.