Reliance JioPhone 4G VoLTE Feature Phone Launched in India
Reliance Industries Limited chairman Mukesh Ambani announced the ‘JioPhone’ at Reliance Industries 40th annual general meet in Mumbai, terming it as ‘India Ka Smartphone’.
— Reliance Jio (@reliancejio) July 20, 2017
Adding a new 4G feature phone to its array of products, Mukesh Ambani said that the phone will be “effectively for free” with a one time security deposit of INR 1500. The deposit will be refundable after three years at the time of return. The phone will be available for beta testing from August 15 and for pre-booking from August 24.The company targets to make 5 million phones every week at a first come first serve basis. Along with a lifetime of free voice calls, ‘JioPhone’ will also have free unlimited data from August 15 with an affordable monthly plan of Rs 153.
At a plan Rs 153 a month, it is only 3 per cent of the existing price putting an end to unaffordable data for all Indians forever;- Mukesh Ambani
Similar weekly and two-day plans will also be available for Rs 54 and Rs 24. Further adding to the list of features, Ambani said “Users will be able to connect Jio Phone to any TV, not just smart TVs but even the old CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) TVs that some still own. All Jio Phone users can enjoy viewing their Jio content from their phones on their TV screens” Aside from the basic features like calling, texting, Internet surfing etc. the JioPhone also has
- 2.4-inch display
- Supports digital payment via NFC
- SD card slot for extended memory
- Torch light
- Supports 4G VoLTE for calls and data
- New set of data plans, starting at Rs 153 for the device
- Comes with preloaded Jio apps like Jio Cinema, Jio Music etc.
Major Attractions of JioPhone
- Unlimited 4G data for Rs 153 a month
- JioPhone will be effectively free of cost
- One time security deposit, refundable at the time of return after 3 years
- Available for advance booking from 24 August
- Long press number 5 on the JioPhone and a distress message will be sent to all registered contacts.
- PM Modi’s podcast Mann Ki Baat on the Jio feature phone will be available.
- Most likely, NaMo app will come pre-loaded on the device.
The phone has been created by Indian engineers for an Indian audience, Mukesh Ambani said, “made in India for Indian users”.