How to- Root HTC DESIRE HD – included Downgrade from 1.72.405.3 to 1.32
So we finally found a perfectly stable way to downgrade and root the HTC DESIRE HD. All credit goes to the devolopers at XDA-DEVELOPERS.com we are just bringing this guide for our readers in a simplified manner.
Warning: Please note you are doing this at your own risk! there is a high chance that this might damage your device, or make it inoperable. ALL FILES AND TOOLS MENTIONED IN THIS WRITEUP ARE PROPERTIES OF THE DEVELOPERS
THIS GUIDE IS PURELY FOR EDUCATION
This guide has been made considering your device is factory unlocked.
Now that legalities are out of the way lets begin!
PART 1 : Downgrade
First and foremost check the version of your bootloader.
Do this by going to the about phone panel in the settings folder.
If its 1.72 and above then follow part 1 – else move to part 2
What you need :
- HTC Sync (or ADB drivers)
- Desire HD with build number 1.72 or higher
- Make sure the battery is fully charged
What needs to be done:
- Download the attached file from here (right click to save file as)
- extract the file to reveal a downgrade folder and copy it onto your C drive
- Download this file stock 1.32 PD98IMG.zip
- keep it safe
- Connect Desire HD to a computer. Charge only, USB Debugging enabled!
- Open Command prompt and navigate to the downgrade folder
- If you placed the downgrade folder in your c: drive type in cd/Downgrade
- It should show C:\Downgrade>
Carefully type in the following commands one by one
- adb push psneuter /data/local/tmp
- adb push misc_version /data/local/tmp
- adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/psneuter
- adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/tmp/misc_version
- adb shell /data/local/tmp/psneuter
- adb shell
If you got “#” in the result, you have temproot! Proceed:
Now type the following one by one
- cd /data/local/tmp
- ./misc_version -s 1.31.405.3
After its done
- Put PD98IMG.zip to your SD card. You can close the cmd.
- Reboot while holding volume down, it will go to the bootloader
- Let it run the process
- When it asks – do you want to start update
- Press the volume up button to begin
- Let it complete and then boot the phone
To begin rooting proceed to Part 2
PART 2 Rooting The Desire HD
To root your HTC Desire HD you will need the Visionary tool found here
What you need
- HTC Desire HD with bootloaded 1.32
- Visi0nary tool from the link
How you will do it
- Download and copy visi0nary tool to your sdcard
- Install and run visionary
- once visionary is running check “Set system r/w after root”
- and click Temproot now wait patiently till it finishes.
- once you have successfully Temprooted
- Click PermRoot the device and wait for it to restart the Device.
Once your Desire HD reboots – you have successfully rooted your DHD – and you will get superuser permissions.
The next thing you want to do is to S-off the device
For that : What you need
- Windows XP SP2 or higher
- .NET Framework 4.0
- HTC Sync (or ADB drivers)
- Desire HD with stock kernel (or Apache14’s 1.0.7 / 1.1.4 Sense)
- It will not work on 1.72.405.3 or higher build, or new radio. Downgrade first (using Part 1)
- Download this file HERE (right click and save file as)
- Extract the folder and run “Desire HD easy radio tool.exe”
- Connect Desire HD – charge only mode + usb debugging on
- In “Desire HD easy radio tool.exe” select option 3 and click “do it now”
- wait for it to finish
You have now fully completed the Root process along with downgrade if applicable. If you already know how then you are ready to install custom roms on this. If not, then wait for our second update on the HTC desire HD – which will shine some light on that.
Information and files : Various articles : xda-developers, Modaco, Phandroid, android-forums – youtube