Jio Phone Deliveries Begin On September 25
Reliance will begin the delivery of the 6 million Jio phones booked during the month of August on September 25. According to a report by PTI, people in rural areas will receive the phone before their urban counterparts. The deliveries will begin in a phased manner and will be completed within 15 days. Official Twitter handle of Jio states that everyone who has pre-booked the Jio phone will receive their order before Diwali this year, which falls on October 19th.
According to CyberMedia Research, a total of 61.8 million mobiles were shipped in the second quarter of 2017. With 6 million units of sale, JioPhone is estimated to account for around 10 percent of India’s total mobile phone market in a quarter.
The consumers can track their orders via the MyJio app but, as of now, the status shows ‘Created’. The tracking of delivery seems pointless right now but, the status should be clearer in the days to come.
Earlier in the month of September, JioPhone crossed 6 million pre-orders and the company had to close the pre-orders just a day and a half after it was opened. The JioPhone, as Mukesh Ambani announced, will be effectively for free with one time refundable deposit of Rs 1500 on return of the handset. To rival with the “India ka smart phone”, other telecom companies like, Bharti Airtel and Vodafone are also reported to be in talks with phone makers to introduce their own 4G smartphones in the Indian market.
Here’s an overview of the JioPhone:
- 2.4-inch display
- Supports digital payment via NFC
- SD card slot for extended memory
- Torch light
- Supports 4G VoLTE for calls and data
- New set of data plans, starting at Rs 153 for the device
- Comes with preloaded Jio apps like Jio Cinema, Jio Music etc.
Major Attractions of JioPhone:
- Unlimited 4G data for Rs 153 a month
- JioPhone will be effectively free of cost
- One time security deposit, refundable at the time of return after 3 years
- Available for advance booking from 24 August
- Long press number 5 on the JioPhone and a distress message will be sent to all registered contacts.
- PM Modi’s podcast Mann Ki Baat on the Jio feature phone will be available.
- Most likely, NaMo app will come pre-loaded on the device.
Do you think other telecom companies will be able to rival the precedence that the JioPhone is creating for itself? Let us know in the comments below.